Monday, September 27, 2010

A quilt for Macyn


This advertisement was my inspiration.


@September 29 2010
I have been thinking I need some paler colors to blend this better. I also am searching a flat sheet in a chocolate color for the boarders and backing. I want 100% cotton and a good thread count. Once I find this I am am going to start sewing the top.

On lunch today I bought a chocolate brown sheet set (twin size) for $12 this is a 300 thread count 100% cotton sheet from Wal-mart. It came with both fitted and flat sheet and pillow case. More fabric than I needed but that will allow me to possibly use that same fabric in future quilts/ projects.


I bought fabrics today for my cousins baby boy Macyn. I cut the center pieces out and have tried organizing them. I have started cutting the strips to go around the edges but need to find a boarder color first.

@October 4, 2010
I have all the green and part of the white in the center square pieced together. The fabric is looking great with little stretching but I have a Brother sewing machine and I believe that 1/2 in seams are hard to sew. Going with a 5/8 would have been harder to calculate but the measuring on the sewing machine always has a 5/8th marking.

@ October 9, 2010




I am working on the outer boarder today.

@ October 19, 2010
I called the local printing and embroidery shop and had them make a square for the quilt... Love it $7.00 total and it really will personalize it. Just picked it up and am very excited to use it. :) Sorry for the poor quality I took this pic from my phone.

@ October 25, 2010

I finished quilting this and patched on the name last night. I had a lot of problems with my thread being to coarse. I believe that even though it is specifically for quilting, it is better for hand quilting. In future quilts I think using 100% cotton all purpose thread would be better. All I lack is finishing the binding. I cut my backing 2 inches wider than the quilt and plan on using it for binding. I think that it will be easier and more attractive than store bought binding.  I have used the store bought in the past and found it hard to match colors as well as it tends to be more rough material.


@ October 25, 2010

FINISHED!! After almost of a month of working on my first quilt in 10 years I have finished. It isn't perfect and I did have several problems with relearning processes and figuring out why threads are bunching up. I admit I made a lot of errors but I am still very proud and hope to post a picture of baby Macyn and his quilt if his mommy will allow it! Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. I am glad you like it! I cannot wait to take pics of Macyn with it. That would be the ultimate addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ashley! I am quilting it to the back now I should be finishing it today or tom. WHICH MEANS I am starting your this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it!!!! this is lindsie by the way i have no account so i put anonymous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lindsie Loo I'm working on Rory's now and them I am starting Mackenzie Rheas. When you have a baby I will make him/her one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am ready to start on yours Angela! Lets go fabric shopping!

    ReplyDelete